After living with a plywood kitchen counter for far too long, I finally tackled this project. Lots of resources out there, but all roads lead back to Fu Tung-Cheng. All in all it’s a pretty straightforward process, build a mold (don’t forget it’s a mirror image!), mix the concrete, polish as obsessively as you’re comfortable with, seal, wax, and install (recruit strong friends). For far too many photos of my project, view it here.
- Build a mold using melamine
- Seal the seams with black (for visibility) caulk
- Float metal fencing in middle of mold and add rebar based on size
- Mix concrete, add polystyrene fibers, water reducer and of course color or aggregate as desired
- Carefully break out of mold and start grinding working your way up the grits
- Seal with a food safe sealant and wax