Gotham vs. the Windy City?

Outlier (on the left) and Nonetheless (right) are clearly doing something similar in their two fair cities and that something is right down my alley. The question is, who’s doing it better? Now I’m all for keeping everyone friends but a healthy debate can be fun sometimes? Right?
My initial take is that I like the Outlier shirt better – I think partially because the extra buttons on the Trench shirt had me, well, a bit confused. Or feeling French. Something. But when it comes to the pants, the look of the fabric on the Dispatch Rider looks a lot better to me for some reason. The OG’s make me think of some travel pants I have from REI that, while great in theory, never really seem to “work”. But then again, is that a flair on the Dispatches? See? I get confused. Maybe I just need both companies to send me something so I can compare? (too overt?)

Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.

This entry was posted in Bikes, Wearables. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted February 17, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

also been curious about this genre of ‘urban cycling pants’ after ever pair of jeans i own is branded with the outline of my saddle, some with some pretty serious patches..

2. Posted February 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Yeah, my favorite jeans are on the patch table right now. I’m gonna try some, I’ll keep you posted.

3. Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Thank you for the nice write up. I am Jonathan Shaun (Founder/Designer) of Nonetheless Garments. Started in 2009, the mission is to develop, design, and manufacture highly functional menswear in Chicago. The line is cycle centric but not limited to us cyclists. An individual, commuting and traveling (on or off the bike) needs highly functional textiles, refined aesthetics, smart/easy care labels, and modular design. Nonetheless Garments strives to develop individual pieces that can be worn commuting through intense weather conditions, however, look and feel good in a work space. Our Modular Design Aesthetics is based on a “less is more” mantra.

I would like to expand on your questions here.

1. The bottom hem: it does not have a flair. In the image and on the figure it drapes as if there is flair. The Dispatch Rider has 8 inch leg openings. Fairly, narrow compared to traditional trousers.
    2. The extra buttons on the Trench Shirt: The adjustable sleeves have ‘tie-down’ flaps and buttons to hold rolled-up sleeves in place. Moreover, the shorter front bottom hem with hidden button closer, which keeps the garment close to the body and not the ride.

My Very Best,
    Jonathan Shaun

4. Posted March 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I have the Outlier shirt and absolutely _love_ it. My girlfriend has the lady’s version of the Outlier 4-Season slacks and likes them well enough. Her brother has the male version and loves them, especially the stretchiness and breathe-ability.

I hadn’t heart of Nonetheless until I read it here, but now I really want to try out their stuff.

Tip: Have you seen Philosophy Bags from Camas, WA?

5. Posted March 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Good to know, thanks! And thanks for the tip on the bags, those look solid.

6. Posted March 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the info Jonathan, always good to hear it from the source!

7. Posted March 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jonathan – sent an email your way!